In the present highly competitive scenario, having an internship experience is as important as having a graduation certificate. This is one of the proven ways to acquire relevant knowledge, skill and experience while pursuing your academic education; it provides valuable hands on experience in chosen subject.
By opting for an internship, students test drive their chosen career option before entering full fledged into it. It also provides opportunities to acquire more information about the career apart from what is found in books.
An internship can be clearly defined as a structured work experience, aimed at enhancing a student’s career prospects. Student’s get an opportunity to work under the industry experts, get supervised and groomed by them.
Here is a brief listing of few benefits that students get by opting for internship
• By doing an internship, students get work experience that they can’t get in the classroom. It is an excellent way to branch out from your course in the industry in which you are studying. It offers you the chance to learn by doing in a professional environment, where you are supervised by industry experts.
• It gives an excellent opportunity to apply the acquired academic knowledge, into practice. It also gives you the chance to prove the worth of your qualifications.
• With hard work and dedication, a student can transit from an intern to an employee of the company where they do their internship.
• It also gives an opportunity to students to realize their abilities and potentialities.
• A work experience in the course you are pursuing builds your confidence greatly and adds weight to your resume. Employers can detail information about your knowledge, skills and work experience through your resume.
• Students get a firsthand experience about the work culture, office etiquette, mutual understanding, team work ethic, when they work in an organization as an intern. They also learn job-seeking and job-holding skills, and, as a result, gain maturity, professionalism, and confidence.
• An internship can help you decide whether you are satisfied with the chosen career option or not; if you don’t enjoy your internship experience, then, at least, it will help you to determine that a particular area isn’t for you. This experience contributes to a greater sense of responsibility for their own efforts and greater dependence on their own judgment.
• Students can get a head-start in their career fields and also can earn money as a stipend for their work.
An internship program can facilitate a student to grow academically and professionally strong, and with many employers increasingly looking for experience as well as academic achievement in candidates, internships have an increasing importance in gaining a good job opportunity.